I’m sure most of you reading this will agree…there is A LOT that goes into raising children!
I believe there are some people that take the mindset that you can just kinda cruise through their childhood and hope that they turn out okay. But in our world today it takes being proactive 24/7 in order to sway them in the right direction (the opposite direction then what they see in society).
Parenting isn’t just making sure they are fed and clothed…we are truly molding the minds and hearts of our children and playing a HUGE role in who they will be and what they will believe for the REST OF THEIR LIFE!
This obviously includes things like basic manners, education, social interaction, money habits, the difference between right and wrong, and most of all, teaching them to follow Christ.
But I have recently found an area that has been lacking in our parenting and, in fact, in most of society…THEIR GUT!
What’s the big deal
That might sound completely random, but what I have been learning lately through hours and hours of research is: our gut is EVERYTHING! Our gut houses 60-80% of our immune system and whether or not it is healthy will determine whether or not we are healthy.
An unhealthy gut can lead to hormonal imbalance, autoimmune disease, diabetes, chronic fatigue, allergies, fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression, eczema, rosacea, and MUCH more!!
Our society does not know how to take care of their guts and because of that it is rampant with all of the ailments I listed and our quality of life has been severely decreased! With all of our medication and technology people are living longer then they were 50 years ago but NOT living better.
Though all of our medications may cover some symptoms, they add others…all the while not ever touching the root cause of all our problems – AN UNHEALTHY GUT!
People used to know how to grow/prepare/eat food that benefited our guts but we have lost that for many reasons.
The more research I do, it becomes very clear to me that living/eating the right way isn’t easy and takes getting over a learning curve and being willing to truly commit to a new way of thinking.
If you encounter an illness, the EASY thing to do is pop a pill and get about your normal life, but that is only a temporary and pathetic fix that will come back to bite you in the future.
Another fact that I believe has helped encourage our current unhealthy trend is the fact that our modern way of living is MUCH more profitable to the medical/pharmaceutical community as a whole…if you have a healthy gut you will rarely need assistance from them and in turn will rarely have to pay them.
“The doctor of the future will give no medicines, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease.” Thomas Edison
If we use the hygiene knowledge that we currently have, but then add to it the healthy eating and lifestyle of our forefathers, I believe the majority of the medical community that we know today would become obsolete.
God has already created the most effective health potion within our bodies…we simply have to take care of it!
Does this have anything to do with parenting??
Yes…I know I might have confused you because I started off by talking about a parent’s responsibility and then went into a long talk about medicine and health…but stay with me!
Shortly after Heidi (our first) was born we decided to not vaccinate. This decision was made after a LOOOOOOOOT of research and prayer and is something that we had complete peace about.
But with that decision I began to think about the importance of making sure our children had good immune systems so that they can fight off any illnesses that may come there way.
And then I began to think….
…we teach them to write, ride a bike, and do math – but is it possible to train them to have good immune systems???
The health of their gut is determined by what they eat, how active they are, how much stress they encounter, and how much they allow their immune systems to be built up by encountering non-threatening illnesses and germs (a whole different topic).
So how am I beginning to train my kids to have a healthy gut?
- You never know how much stress you will encounter and a lot of it is out of our control, but teaching my kids (by example) to enjoy free time, family time, and quiet time (aka their naptime :)) is a start. But more importantly, teaching them where true peace comes from and the fact that God is in control is the ultimate way to help them deal with stress.
- I have actually backed off on how much I disinfect our home and how OCD I had become on constantly cleaning their hands. Obviously, I still do what is needed in our bathrooms and kitchen, but I have begun to learn the importance of letting their body get used to fighting a certain level of germs so that they will know what to do as they continue to “go out into the world” more. Make sense?
- Their activity level is a non-issue at this time since they are, in essence, little energizer batteries. But I am very particular to exercise WITH THEM so that they will get used to seeing Mommy being purposeful in taking care of herself.
- The last one is the toughest. What we put in and on our bodies is sooooo important and I am just beginning to learn how much has been lacking from our diet. But just to give you an idea of some changes we have been making: we have stopped using sugar in our home, eliminated almost ALL processed foods, started having a crockpot full of homemade bone broth every week, made our own sourdough starter and bread products, eating veggies with every meal, incorporating smoothies and superfoods throughout our day…and we still have so much to learn! As far as training our children…they eat what we eat. So no sugar, only homemade sourdough breads, LOTS of veggies, all smoothies and superfoods that I make, and Heidi has even had some bone broth! The biggest way I can train my kids to grow healthy guts is by training their taste buds to enjoy foods that will benefit them for their entire life!!
I feel like I have barely touched on the potential of this topic, but I will be covering more things in detail in future posts.
Before I go I want to leave you with a couple resources to get you started. Remember…most people don’t know how to naturally take care of their guts so it is going to be a learning commitment for most of us! I have gained SOOOO much knowledge from Traditional Cooking School and will be writing a more detailed post on them soon but have a couple starter videos for y’all:
- Check out this post to see a description of what we are working towards eating on a daily basis.
- If you are actually having health problems right now you might want to consider a true Gut Healing Diet – start off by watching this video.
- If you aren’t having health problems or just want to start things off more gradually check out this video on easy steps to introduce traditional foods.
- And here is a bundle (that we are saving up for) that will answer every question you could ever ask about gut health and how to help your insides thrive!
So this is my challenge to me and to you.
I commit to train my children to grow up healthy.
I commit to make their immune systems, minds, and hearts work the way God intended them to.
I commit to not make them them to face unnecessary illness or struggle.
I COMMIT TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES!
Are you coming with me???